Your car may still have beach towels or flip-flops in the backseat, but unfortunately, summer is long gone and cooler Fall weather is here. While it may still feel warm outside during the day, your car could benefit from a few steps to prepare for the colder months ahead. There are also a few fall car safety tips to consider. Today our towing service, New Image Towing, will be discussing various car safety tips and preparation for fall. It’s an ideal time to give your car some extra attention before any harsh temperatures come your way. If you’re in the Forest Park area, you don’t have to worry about taking time to Google “towing company near me,” when New Image Towing is accessible and here to help!
Fall Car Safety Tips
Check Your Fluids
- This is important in all seasons, but the fall is especially important because of certain issues cold weather coming could bring. One example of how a change in temperature could be problematic is the potential of your engine freezing up. This is why it is important to keep your antifreeze/coolant at proper levels to prevent internal damage. Depending on the type of vehicle you have, there are a few ways to know if your car is running low on antifreeze. You may see a dashboard warning light, or in more modern cars the engine may automatically cut off. This occurs to prevent damage to the engine and other internal components. You will not be able to drive the car until it is cooled down or longer.
- Another sign of being low is your heater not working. With the fall season bringing cool temperatures in, you will want the heat in your car to work properly. Your car’s heater uses the same residual heat given by the engine by the cooling system. So, if one part of this process is messing up, heat cannot be produced properly. Whatever the problem may be, our towing service is here to help you get back on the road as soon as possible. The stress of car trouble doesn’t have to fall on you, because you are one call away from help. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to assist your needs! Filling your fluids is a great way to prevent issues, so make sure to fill your coolant/antifreeze so you don’t have to worry about corrosion, frost or overheating.
Inspect Your Car Battery
- It is important to make sure the cables and terminals do not need retightening. If the cables are corroded or dirty, you can clean them with a wire brush to make sure the battery is as strong as possible. Cold weather stresses and slows down the chemical reaction happening inside your car battery. When chemical energy turns into electrical energy, it relies on a short burst of energy that creates lead sulfate and ions. Eventually, the battery provides electricity to the starter motor and ignition system. Your alternator is what recharges the battery while the car is running. During months that we receive cold weather, around 50% of alternator problems tend to increase. When your engine requires nearly double the amount of power to properly start and run, the probability of an issue increases greatly.
- With our towing service, we will take your undrivable car to receive the proper help it needs. When we tow your vehicle you can be sure it’s in the hands of professionally trained, licensed, and insured tow truck personnel. In the case of your alternator going out, you may notice the headlights start to dim or get extremely bright shortly before your car loses power and dies. At that point, the only thing you can do is call NewImage Towing so we can get to you quickly.
Check Your Tire Pressure
- It is very common for tire pressure to drop while the temperature outside also drops. In fact, tire pressure can decrease about 1 PSI (pounds per square inch) for every 10 degrees the temperature drops. Don’t worry though, this should only be a temporary issue unless there is a hole or leak in your tire. The warning light turns on due to cold weather, but once you drive your car or the weather gets warmer, the air will expand. However, don’t continue to drive on low tires. It is very dangerous for your tires to carry on with low tire pressure. It can even decrease your tire’s lifespan. Before the cold weather gets here, one big fall safety tip is to inspect for leaks. In the case of a tire going flat or a bigger issue going on, you can always call NewImage Towing to come out and help. We understand that every minute counts, which is why we offer our motorist and commercial customers 24/7 professional towing services near you.
Need A Tow or Roadside Assistance? Call Us Today!
Overall, we hope you have learned more about our towing services and fall safety tips for your safety. Consider the ways you can help prevent car trouble, but know that in the case of an issue, New Image Towing will quickly respond to your call. If you break down or need roadside assistance, be sure to give us a call today! We are more than happy to help!