With so many Georgia drivers and trip takers along the east coast, Atlanta roads are busier than many other states. With more drivers on the roads equals more accidents. The Georgia Department of Transportation reported 1,549 deaths in 2017 alone. Many of these fatalities occur on major highways throughout the state, such as the I-20, I-75, I-575, etc. Here, New Image Towing breaks down common accident causes and the steps to take post accident.
Common car accident causes:
- Distracted drivers (texting, eating, on the phone, etc.)
- Drivers under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Speeding, driving recklessly
- Failure to yield or follow traffic signs
- Hazardous weather conditions
- Inexperienced drivers
- Following too closely
- Falling asleep behind the wheel
Assuming your injuries aren’t life threatening, follow these simple steps:
- Call the police. Especially if there is visible damage or a driver is under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- Exchange contact and insurance information with the other driver involved in the accident
- Take photos of the scene, your vehicle and any personal injuries.
- Be aware of oncoming traffic. Avoid walking into the road or highway.
‘Steer It, Clear It’ LaW – (§ 40-6-275)
When a traffic accident occurs with no apparent serious personal injury or death, it shall be the duty of the drivers of the motor vehicles involved in such traffic accident, or any other occupant of any such motor vehicle who possesses a valid driver’s license, to remove said vehicles from the immediate confines of the roadway into a safe refuge on the shoulder, emergency lane, or median. The driver of any such motor vehicle may request any person who possesses a valid driver’s license to remove any such motor vehicle as provided in this Code section, and any such person so requested shall be authorized to comply with such request.
In A Car Accident? Need A Tow?
New Image Towing is available to provide you with roadside assistance in any situation or vehicle emergency. We offer a wide array of services to all of our motorist customers, including car towing and emergency roadside service. New Image Towing provides emergency towing to the metro Atlanta area, and our “on-call” fleet of tow trucks and service vehicles guarantee a prompt response. New Image Towing provides light-duty towing of automobiles that are disabled. This may involve recovering an automobile damaged in an accident, returning one to a drivable surface in a mishap or inclement weather, or towing or transporting one via flatbed to a repair shop or other location.